STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Saturday 14 April 2012

Exmouth

Went down to the seafront to look for the Arctic Skuas reported last night, but no luck with these. As I arrived, at 1200hrs, I picked up a Short-eared Owl coming in off the sea, circling a couple of times over the sea, before gradually gaining height and drifting off high NNE. A Little Tern was offshore with the Sandwich Terns.
At 1220hrs my attention was drawn to a huge bird heading out over the dunes and straight out to sea. This turned out to be a Common Crane! This is as far as I know the first record for Exmouth. It continued on its southerly course until lost to view.
Just to complete my "seawatch", a pair of Garganey flew in and landed briefly on the sea, before being flushed off eastwards by a powerboat.