STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Wednesday 23 March 2011

Instow Cricket Ground.

07:30 - 08:30

High tide this morning was at 08:20 so I decided to watch the tide come in over the Black Ground, just off the Cricket Ground. This is usually a good place to pick up a few Mediterranean Gulls.
Was I being a bit early in the year? There wasn`t a single gull of any description "anywhere in the area" and the only waders I saw was a largish flock of Oystercatchers over the Crow Point side. Apart from these all I saw were Corvids and Wood Pigeons. Even the Oystercatchers were put to flight by Army "Landings" on the beach.
Where have all the birds gone or have the dogs and dog walkers finally seen them off?
I decided to see if the resident Little Owl was about and there it was, on it`s post inside the lean-to shed. Thank goodness it was still there.