STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Wednesday 9 March 2011

Gittisham Hill, Nr.Honiton.

Great Grey Shrike showing at 11.30am today but not this afternoon when I went back for a photo.  This is not an area much visited by birders, at least I have never seen anyone when I have been there and I covered it last year for BTO Atlas.  Always thought it ideal for Shrike and this is the first time I think it has been sighted here.  For those not familiar with the area, the land belongs to the Combe Estate but is accessible when they are not shooting.  The ground it is very rough and the best vantage point is from the Faraway Farm road which runs W-E accross the middle from the main Honiton to Sidford road.  The Shrike was seen north of the farm road on power poles.  Also present: Snipe,Yellow Hammer, Reed Bunting, Kestrel, Buzzard and Mallard.