STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Sunday 13 February 2011

Prawle

Different week - same stuff! Seawatch (08.00 - 13.30); 3 each of Black- and Red-throated Divers, 1565 Gannets, 67 Fulmar, Manx Shearwater, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 Common Scoter, 4 Common Gulls, Med Gull, 467 Kittiwakes and 1272 Auks (no attempt to seperate them today)! A nice lot of birds, but one of the lingering Sooties or a Skua or 2 would have been nice. (There's no pleasing some people)! I also fancied my chances of a Storm Petrel today, but I see they went to Dorset instead!

WeBS count produced a decent total of 16 Purple Sandpipers, along with the wintering crew of Redshank, Knot and 2 Grey Plover.

In Horseley Cove, I confirmed what I have suspected for a few weeks - that there are 2 Water Pipits, (I saw them together for the first time today), along with at least 36 Rock Pipits.