STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Tuesday 8 February 2011

Exminster Marshes

I managed a short visit between 15.00 and 16.00 before the rain set in. Sheltering from a cold SE breeze most birds were spread out without the usual dense flocks of wigeon and lapwing. There were still impressive numbers of both together with over 100 curlew and about 60 black-tailed godwits. A bittern flew NW, from the ditch close to the lagoon, to a small patch of reeds in mid marsh at 15.10. A few minutes later a water pipit flew onto the shallow wet areas close to the canal-side car park. It called , paraded and then disappeared. The nine pintail were in pairs apart from a single male. Some of the teal and most of the shoveller were also paired. 5 grey lag geese flew over as did a solitary brent goose. A group of smaller geese close to the railway line and with Canada geese may well have been the white-fronted geese.



Thanks to those of you who have sent me records of bitterns in response to my earlier request. If you have bittern records from the Exe area please send them to me. My details are on my posting on the 27 January.