STOP PRESS

DEVON BIRD NEWS has moved...find it HERE


Tuesday 16 November 2010

Exminster Marshes

I suspected the furor caused by the visiting American Robin would have died down so it was safe to resume my morning walks and the weather was fantastic. A quick scan of the pools close to the road revealed the Glossy Ibis and one Water Pipit. On the canal bank a female Blackcap was a surprise. In the bushes a single Chiffchaff, 3 Goldcrests and a good variety of thrushes, including Fieldfares (c20), Song Thrushes, Redwings and Blackbirds. Squeezing past the 30 or so bird-watchers staring into the bushes I continued to the Turf where a fine male Yellowhammer flew over. An unusual bird for the marshes. On my return I did see, briefly, the American Robin flying back into berry covered bushes further along the canal followed by an amazing array of lenses, cameras and scopes.